01 Oct $25,800 OTF Grant Gives Additional Lens to 8 80 Cities
Toronto, ON – On Friday, 8 80 Cities welcomed members of the public to a Virtual Open House to discuss engagement upgrades that the organization has been working on since receiving a $25,800 Resilient Communities Fund grant from the Ontario Trillium Foundation (OTF). Resilient Communities Fund grants were developed by OTF to help non-profit groups rebuild and recover from the impact of COVID-19.
8 80 Cities is a not-for-profit organization based in Toronto that believes that if everything we do in our cities is great for an eight-year-old and an 80-year-old, then it will be great for all people.
Local MPP Chris Glover and Ontario Trillium Foundation volunteer Fatima Kamenge were online for the virtual convening to congratulate the 8 80 Cities’ team on the work done after receiving its $25,800 grant earlier this year. They had the opportunity to hear more about the impact the grant has had on the use of Social Pinpoint, a new digital community engagement tool; Zoom upgrades to facilitate webinars and online workshops; and 8 80 Cities’ transition to the cloud, expanding its ability to continue to engage with internal and external clients and community members during COVID-19.
“Throughout this pandemic, I have worked with groups tackling issues such as homelessness and accessibility, and it is wonderful to see an organization like 8 80 Cities that understands the importance of working toward a more inclusive city.” – Spadina-Fort York MPP Chris Glover
“We are developing a new service to help communities understand how they are performing from the perspective of children and older adults. The majority of our work has been on site over the years at 8 80 Cities. Funds from the OTF grant will be used to help us pivot to a more digital touchpoint without losing the focus on engagement when working with diverse communities here in Toronto, across Canada and around the world. We’re excited for the potential to be able to do more even during a pandemic.” – Lanrick Bennett Jr, Managing Director, 8 80 Cities
• Social Pinpoint allows 8 80 Cities to work better in projects that include Community Engagement to continue with its Unconventional Community Engagement processes.
• Upgrades to Zoom have increased its reach and the ability to hold larger webinars.
• With COVID-19 protocols still in effect, it’s able to connect with a broader online audience
• For more information, please visit the 8 80 Cities website or Facebook page and follow us on Twitter @880Cities.
• The Ontario Trillium Foundation (OTF) is an agency of the Government of Ontario, and one of Canada’s leading granting foundations. Last year, nearly $112M was invested into 1,384 community projects and partnerships to build healthy and vibrant communities and strengthen the impact of Ontario’s non-profit sector. In 2020/21, OTF supported Ontario’s economic recovery by helping non-profit organizations rebuild and recover from the impacts of COVID-19.