31 Jul 5 Questions for Gil Penalosa
Gil Penalosa has traveled to more than 200 communities across the globe scouting for the best ideas to improve life for people of all ages. He believes the measure of a good place is whether we’d feel comfortable with an 8-year-old biking alone to the neighborhood park or someone in their 80s walking to the grocery store.
That’s why he founded and is board chair of 8 80 Cities, which works internationally to make it easier and safer for people of all ages to walk, bike and enjoy parks, trails and public spaces.From his travels and research, Penalosa has distilled five essential ingredients for a great city or town:
1. lively public spaces and parks
2. streets that are safe for everyone who uses them
3. comfortable options for bikers and walkers
4. convenient, speedy public transportation
5. public officials willing to collaborate with neighborhood residents
Read the full article here.